"One can never consent to creep when one feels the impulse to soar." ---Helen Keller

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Blue Moon Time

August will give us a blue moon!

What is a blue moon? One definition of a blue moon is when you get two full moons within the same month. We will have a full moon on August 1st and August 31st. Most full moons occur every 29.5 days, so it is rare when it happens in the same month.

This link has some interesting facts about them. Blue Moons

Take some time to sit outside and enjoy the view!!!

Moon Ring


This picture was taken a few years back outside my home. My son called to tell me that I should go out and look at the moon. He knows my obsession with space. I researched this and found out it is called a moon ring. It is sometimes called a winter halo and is caused by refraction of the light from the full moon in the ice particles floating in the upper atmosphere. This is the opposite of  a rainbow where light refracts in the water vapor that makes up clouds.

So much to see and learn.


No comments:

Post a Comment