"One can never consent to creep when one feels the impulse to soar." ---Helen Keller

Monday, April 23, 2012

Razzle Dazzle Writing

I LoVe anything Melissa Forney uses to teach writing. She is my favorite resource where writing is concerned. I have spent a lot of years in 4th grade and was there the very first year of Florida Writes (now, FCAT Writes). I remember thinking there was no way the students would ever get past a score of 2, but they have surely come a long way. It just took time and a systematic method of teaching it.

I met Melissa at a workshop a few years ago and couldn't wait to show her my copy of Razzle Dazzle Writing with its frayed edges and post it notes marking practically every page. She was just as wonderful in person as I had imagined.. What a great lady! Anyway, I thought I would share some of the powerpoints that I made to teach those ideas. As technology changed, I no longer used those overhead transparencies that I had made of the book's pages. I began to put her ideas into things I could show on the projector. Of course, now I would probably be able to spice them up even further.

One example was her target skill lesson of using "Juicy Color Words" to jazz up their writing.
Juicy Color Words 




Another example is target lesson "Narrative Grabbers" used for teaching how to begin their stories.
Narrative Grabbers



The following is the target skill "Painting a Word Picture" for developing descriptive writing.
Painting a Word Picture


These are just some of the examples of target skills from Razzle Dazzle Writing by Melissa Forney.

She also has a book, Primary Pizzazz Writing for the younger kiddos too. It has an audio CD with cute songs, skits, etc. I made the following slides to match an audio skit. I just flipped through the slides as the audio played an old fashioned radio play. The lesson was then designed to teach the students how to expand their sentences with more description.



I used her book The Writing Menu with the writing portion of the Daily 5. That is for another post, but she is definitely worth checking out.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment